Friday, June 24, 2011

Riding a bike after 15 years

Yesterday I did something I never would have done 67 lbs ago. I rode a bike! I have wanted to ride a bike since hitting my first milestone on the scale (under 300 lbs) back in November and I just haven't gotten around to it despite Nashville's free bike share program.

Yesterday though I got on a bike for the first time in about 15 years. We rode 8 miles on a mountainside trail. You know what a mountainside trail means?

HILLS.

I mean really, this looks like a background someone created for a Hollwood movie set.

The weather was perfect with clear, blue, sunny skies and just the right mix of physical challenges and reassurances that I am in shape or at least getting there. On the way out we were apparently going downhill with a few rolling hills in the mix. We made it to Lake Dillon before having to turn around (we are here to work afterall). I felt great on the way out. Coasting on the flat surfaces, riding the hardest-to-pedal gear.

Stopping to pose by Lake Dillon.

After reaching the lake we headed back. Unbeknownst to us, it was all uphill on the way back. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't huffing and puffing. It felt like a much slower return, but as it turned out we arrived back at the bike shop in the same amount of time ending up riding for an hour and a half.

I felt so accomplished before 9 in the morning. Accomplished in a way that walking a marathon or learning to run hasn't afforded me. It was a whole new sort of accomplishment. There were, however, challenges. Like the moment I practically stopped on a rather large hill due to a gear shift issue and had to get off my bike and walk it to the top. Or towards the end of the bike feeling like I wouldn't be able to do anything else for the rest of the day.


Of course, after a 20 minute rest in my hotel room and a shower I had great energy for the rest of the day. I attended the rest of the conference, sipped some fine local microbrews and soaked in my last Colorado evening at the resort stables for the "Barn Dance."

My only regret is that I have to leave Colorado today. I can't wait to start planning my next trip back. Hopefully, it will be to complete one of my 101 in 1001 items - to go snow skiing.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love biking! So glad you had a wonderful experience. Have you considered trying a spin class? (Was that an evil laugh that just escaped my mouth?)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a brave way to start biking again. And that bike share program sounds pretty cool, I've never heard of anything like that. Ottawa prides itself on being a bike-friendly city, we should set one up.

I love biking, but haven't done it in the past 4 years - always either pregnant or with a babe < 1yr (the minimum age for the bike trailer). Actually, that's not true: I went out once between babies and it was awful - my legs couldn't take it and my butt was so sore after a really short trip. I was so disappointed. Hopefully it goes better at the end of July, when DD2 is old enough!

Post a Comment